Introduction to Oklahomas Famous Nut Candy
Oklahoma is home to one of the tastiest treats around- nut candy! Whether you’re looking for a special treat to share with friends and family or simply some deliciousness for yourself, Oklahoma’s famous nut candy will surely satisfy your cravings.
Made with a combination of caramel, peanuts and sweet cream, Oklahoma’s nut candy has been delighting fans of all ages since 1973. Not only does this melt-in-your-mouth snack provide a crunchy texture accompanied with it’s lightly sweetened taste, but these bite sized pieces also offer an enjoyable nutty flavor that makes them even more enjoyable. While they can be easily eaten on their own, many people choose to use them as an addition to ice cream, brownies and cheesecakes; adding both texture and flavor like no other ingredient.
Unlike traditional candies which tend to be specific flavors, Oklahoma’s nut candy offers something different. With its unique combination of textures and flavors coming together in perfect harmony, these goodies have truly taken snacking to a whole new level. From those who love nuts to those who prefer just a bit of sweetness; there is no better way to enjoy this fan favorite than straight out the bag (or tub)!
No matter where you’re from or how much you like sweets- experience what thousands around the world already know – Oklahomans make some pretty amazing nut candy!
The Origins of Oklahomas Famous Nut Candy
Oklahoma’s most legendary nut candy is called “pecan pralines.” Despite being known for being incredibly tasty, most Oklahomans don’t know exactly where or how this iconic treat originated. To understand the origins of pecan pralines, let’s take a journey back in time to the 1700s, when sugar first found its way to Louisiana and brought about the era of New Orleans-style candy making.
Candy makers in Louisiana began combining boiled sugar and cream into creamy-smooth signatures like “petit four” versions of what would become widely recognized as pralines – variations on a French confection featuring rice paper shells with milk chocolate and ground almonds inside. Of course, over time their recipes were tweaked with each new addition of ingredients reflecting the local environment; eventually replacing almonds with English Walnuts or with pecans which were native to Louisiana, Texas and Oklahoma. From there, more granulated sugars replaced liquid sweeteners – allowing it to cook quicker and leaving behind delightful clusters that we now recognize today as “praline clumps”!
It was through this revolutionary combination that modern Pecan Pralines emerged; slowly becoming an all-American classic century after century. As settlers from Louisiana migrated westward into other southern territories like Oklahoma during the late 1800s/early 1900s – they unknowingly transported ‘praline culture’ along with them! Introducing their praised concoction of heavenly sweetness across state lines; until it eventually becoming one of Oklahoma’s favorite treats by 1921 – a delicious legacy that still remains strong today!
Ingredients used in Making Oklahomas Famous Nut Candy
Oklahoma’s famous nut candy is a sweet and decadent treat that’s been enjoyed for generations. This delightful peanut-based creation is made from the highest quality ingredients, helping to make it truly worthy of its fame. So what exactly goes into this delicious delicacy? Let’s take a look at the different components of this tasty snack!
The main ingredient used in making Oklahoma’s famous nut candy is, naturally, peanuts. These premium nuts are lightly salted and lightly roasted to deliver an unparalleled crunchy texture and delicious flavor. Additionally, sugar is added to give the peanuts just enough sweetness to make them irresistibly indulgent.
Next up are several flavorings which give this nut candy its unique taste. A combination of vanilla extract, butter extract, cocoa powder, ground cinnamon, and habanero peppers are all blended together to impart a complex depth of flavor that truly sets this treat apart. Of course no recipe would be complete without salt – adding just enough brings out all the flavors delectably!
On top of that creamy caramel coating gives Oklahoma’s famous nut candy an extra special twist. Rich sweetness bubbles into every mouthful for added enjoyment; plus it helps bind together all those lovely nuggets tightly so no nut will try to escape your teeth when you bite down on these goodies!
And finally some decorative ingredients help create beautiful shapes from these treats as they cool off before being packaged: coconut flakes provide delightful visual movement while chopped peanuts add even more crunch upon every bite! The results speak for themselves: smooth caramel-dipped morsels exploding with sensational taste – now you know why Oklahomans can’t get enough of this one-of-a-kind gourmet treat!
How to Make Oklahomas Famous Nut Candy Step by Step
Oklahoma’s famous nut candy is a delicious treat enjoyed by locals and visitors alike. This sweet, crunchy confection features toasted pecans and creamy caramel blended together for a unique flavor combination. Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this tasty Oklahoma favorite:
1. Start by gathering the ingredients you’ll need: toasted pecans, butter, brown sugar, light corn syrup, heavy cream, and vanilla extract.
2. Place your butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir until it melts completely. Once melted, stir in the brown sugar and corn syrup until everything is combined. Bring mixture up toa low boil and let it cook for about five minutes stirring constantly so that it does not burn on the bottom of the pan.
3. After five minutes of boiling, remove pan from heat and quickly stir in the toasted pecans as well as your heavy cream and vanilla extract until everything is nicely mixed together
4. Pour mixture into an 8×8 inch pan lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil that has been greased with additional butter beforehand; make sure mixture is evenly spread throughout the pan using a rubber spatula
5. Place completed pan in preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15 minutes or until candy has bubbled around edges but not burned – once desired texture is achieved remove from oven immediately
6. Allow time after removing from oven for candy to cool before handling since hot steam builds up inside during baking process which can cause burning when touched too soon
7 Let oklahoma’s famous nut candy cool completely before cutting into pieces as desired; serve warm or store at room temperature in an airtight container if you’d like them to last longer! Enjoy!
FAQs About Oklahomas Famous Nut Candy
Q: What Is the History of Oklahoma’s Famous Nut Candy?
A: Oklahoma’s famous nut candy has been around for generations and is still popular today. The history of this delicious treat dates all the way back to the 1800s, when a local confectioner in Muskogee began selling his homemade goodies. It was later discovered that adding walnuts to a simple recipe of sugar, butter, and corn syrup gave it an irresistible taste that quickly gained popularity throughout the state. The original recipe remains unchanged and is still used to make this delightful snack today.
Q: What Type Of Nuts Are Used In Oklahoma’s Famous Nut Candy?
A: Oklahoma’s famous nut candy typically consists of chopped up roasted English walnuts rather than any other varieties of nuts. However, some recipes may call for almonds instead or even a combination of both types of nuts. If you would like to try something different, these same ingredients can be made into almond brittle or even a peanut brittle!
Q: How Is Oklahoma’s Famous Nut Candy Made?
A: Making Oklahoma’s famous nut candy involves combining equal parts sugar and karo syrup with half as much butter over medium-high heat until boiling point is reached. Once boiled, stir in 1 cup chopped walnuts (or whatever type of nut desired). Next spread the mixture out onto a parchment-covered baking sheet smoothing it flat with the backside of your spoon before sprinkling with salt (optional). Allow to cool completely before breaking apart into pieces — making approximately 3 dozen tasty snacks!
Q: What Are Some Ideas For Serving Up Oklahoma’s Famous Nut Candy?
A: There are many ways to enjoy this traditional sweet treat! Try using it as an ice cream topping for an extra special sundae; use as an edible garnish on cakes / cupcakes; layer it between sections in a classic piecrust; stuff cookie bars / brownies with handfuls; add it into trail mixes; serve up on a cheese platter alongside some crispy crackers. The possibilities are endless!
Top 5 Unforgettable Facts about Oklahomas Famous Nut Candy
Oklahoma’s famous nut candy has a bit of a special pedigree when it comes to its history and production. Here are the top five unforgettable facts about Oklahoma’s famous nut candy:
1. Oklahoma’s nutty claim to fame was concocted in 1925 by Texan brothers Smokey and Munk Woolsey. The secret family recipe remains unchanged today, making it one of the oldest confectioneries in the US.
2. The sweet treat is made using an old-fashioned taffy puller which creates small batches at a time; each batch is blended with just the right amounts of peanut butter, honey, and nuts for optimum loveability!
3. Ever wondered why it’s so popular? Well, it’s not only delicious but also gluten free, dairy free and vegan friendly – meaning everyone can enjoy a bite or two without worrying about their dietary restrictions.
4. In more recent times, it has gained nationwide fame through national food shows like Unwrapped on Food Network as well as celebrity endorsement from Oprah Winfrey and many others who have labeled it “the best Nut Candy in America!”
5. Last but certainly not least – part of its charm is down to its iconic packaging. Simple paper bags line shelves across shops where customers reach out for their fix; While fun designs adorn larger pouches purchased as gifts or simply to treat yourself!