What Are Hex Rivet Nuts?
Hex rivet nuts, also known as blind rivet nuts or threaded inserts, are a one-piece nut and fastener used to secure components on the inside of thin sheet materials. Unlike traditional rivets that require access from both sides of the material, hex rivet nuts are installed with one side of the component remaining hidden. The grooved head securely attaches components to applications such as auto body panels and furniture manufactured with cardboard, plywood or aluminum.
Hex rivet nuts consist primarily of a cylindrical aluminum alloy outer sleeve called a mandrel formed over an inner core containing either compression bolts or threads which are designed to resist vibration and fatigue while securing components in high stress zones. Primarily used in metalworking projects, including aviation repair and fabrication work, hex rivet nuts provide strong structural reinforcement for automotive parts due to their ability to capture capturing threads into thinner sheet metal without increasing weight. For example upon installation, the steel threads expand beyond the walls of compressive material taking on the shape of its edge holes diameter thus allowing it to drawthread into hole structures deep within otherwise unreachable confined areas such as deep hollowed enclosure walls.
Due to their minimal protrusion (depending on application) they can be ideal replacements for bolts and screws when aesthetic appeal must accompany strength requirements. Hex rivets come ready threaded (prevents vibration) but may also be customized prior purchase date by choosing larger/smoother thread sizes while maintaining smooth finished product surfaces ensuring uniformity between project pieces e.g frames/panels etc). Their strength is derived from their geometry which allows them distribute tension evenly throughout the assembly due to being pressed directly onto designated holes when tightened without requiring additional washers or bushings for support other than those intended for safety purposes.
Overall hex rivet nuts offer great fixing potentials yet remain easy enough usage wise that even amateur hobbyists can benefit from using them given their convenient structure which allow them installation freedom whilst providing reliable attachments since they don’t require pre-drilled holes other more laborious counterparts do thereby making them both time efficient & cost effective additions when used appropriately
How to Use Hex Rivet Nuts – Step-by-Step Guide
Hex rivet nuts are important fasteners for a variety of applications, and with the right tools and techniques, anyone can install them. This step-by-step guide will get you up and running in no time with this versatile type of nut.
Step 1: Select the correct size Hex Rivet Nut for the job at hand. When purchasing hex rivet nuts, consider the material thickness before selecting your size; thicker materials require larger sizedrivets.
Step 2: Using a fine tooth ratchet bit or socket driver, fit the fastener to the prepared surface (surface area should be thoroughly cleaned to ensure proper fit). Inserting too much pressure on the fastener may decrease performance.
Step 3: Once seated properly, use a heavy duty stamp or socket tool to apply pressure to flare out pins in order to securely hold fasteners together (ensure that you are using an appropriate tool for your application – the wrong kind of tool may result in damage).
Step 4: To remove your hex rivet nut, use a thin sheet metal drill bit slightly smaller than the diameter of your installed fastener and slowly drill into it until it breaks free from its housing. Be sure to wear safety glasses during removal asbits may break off due to excessive force.
With these simple steps, any DIYer is equipped with everything needed for safe and reliable installation of hex rivet nuts. With this handy guide and some patience, you’ll have an expertly installed job every time!
Common FAQs about Hex Rivet Nuts
What are Hex Rivet Nuts?
Hex rivet nuts, also known as AVK or hex nut inserts, are a type of fastener that combines the speed and convenience of a blind threaded insert with the strength and dependability of a solid body nut. These unique parts offer strong resistance to installation-induced vibration and provide an easy way to thread an assembly without damaging or distorting threads in the surrounding material. They can be inserted into any application requiring load bearing threads and are available in a variety of materials, head styles, and sizes.
What are they used for?
Hex rivet nuts are commonly used where permanent load-bearing assemblies need to be attached without gas welding or directly drilling through thinner sheet metals (such as aluminum), plastics, fiberglass reinforcements and other softer materials. Applications include mounting switch boxes, panels and grille guards; attaching structural components together; constructing steps, stairwells and handrails; establishing benchtops; creating decks; building furniture; reinforcing window frames; fabricating aircraft interiors/exteriors– virtually anywhere you need quick access to load-bearing threads.
How do I install hex rivet nuts?
Installing hex rivet nuts is remarkably simple: all you need is an appropriate tool that fits the size of your desired rivet nuts–typically either a hand-held setting die or an air powered installation gun that comes with interchangeable dies based on size. With these tools placed over the pre-drilled hole in your workpiece–anywhere from 0.5mm up to 12mm does–just squeeze out the tool’s trigger for several seconds until you hear a ‘snap’ when it breaks off internally (your material will prevent further pressing). It’s recommended you have some form grease on both ends of the plunger head to lubricate during insertion–ensuring no debris accumulates inside–otherwise it’ll create difficulty during extraction down the road if necessary! Voila–you now have your own customised internal threads ready for use!
Are there different sizes available for hex rivet nuts?
Yes! Hexrivetnuts come in various sizes depending on application requirements….starting from M3 up to M10 within aluminium alloy varieties alone & M12 – M24 within stainless steel options (though other dimensions may be special orderable). Additionally each size selection offers multiple grip range options which determine how deep it will increase thread holding power under increasing loads –so make sure before purchasing your right batch if such parameters are relevant & pick accordingly!
Benefits of Using Hex Rivet Nuts
Hex rivet nuts are a versatile and useful fastener that offer a number of advantages over other traditional fastening methods. The hex shape makes installation easier to manage and more secure, while the internal threads allow you to easily attach bolts or screws onto the ends of Hex rivet nuts. The locking action of these rivets also provides an even better grip, making it much harder for them to come undone. Here we will discuss some of the key benefits that Hex rivet nuts bring to the table:
1) Increased Versatility: Rivet nuts are available in several different configurations, including various thread sizes and head shapes. This allows for increased versatility when it comes to assembling components – you can easily customize the torque loads needed to affix different components together. Additionally, if needed, most could be removed with a simple allen wrench set.
2) Quick Installation: One of the top benefits that Hex rivet nuts possess is their quick installation process – simply drill a hole in your material and insert the rivet nut before tightening with either mechanical tools or manually by hand (depending on options available). Many types can also be installed from one side only; this means simpler access to mounting points and faster setup times due to less parts removal during mounting.
3) High Load Capacity : Despite their small size, most Hex rivet nuts can be tightened down with high torques without fear of slipping or cracking due to their unique internal geometry. This makes them ideally suited for applications where weight is an important factor but strength should not be compromised – such as mounting materials in aircrafts or cars where space is at a premium yet stability needs remain high.
4) Easy Dismantling: While they provide great holding power, they also allow easy dismantling when need arises- simply unscrewing them off will suffice! This makes reusing components easy and less wasteful overall as no additional parts are required during each replacement process (as opposed to welding/soldering). Ultimately this also reduces labour costs associated with any assembly process.}
Top 5 Facts about Hex Rivet Nuts
1. Hex rivet nuts, also known as threaded insert nuts, are specialty fasteners used to secure bolts and other male threaded objects in place. They feature an internal female thread and external hexagonal body for manual or powered installation with a wrench or socket.
2. Hex rivet nut fasteners provide superior strength and holding power than standard nut-and-bolt arrangements due to their load resilient construction. They can be installed without damaging railings, panels or other surface materials due to their flush mount design that eliminates protrusions.
3. Hex rivet nuts come in various sizes and styles, including low profile hex body rivets, all metal “self clinching” versions that snap onto existing metal surfaces, aluminum inserts with corrosion resistance capabilities, and hybrid plastic/metal combination versions suitable for sheet metal applications where extreme vibration is present.
4. Typical application uses for hex rivet nuts include automobiles (dashboards, frames), furniture (drawers and cabinets) HVAC mechanical systems, outdoor equipment (playground structures), boats and marine craft assembly; musical instrument repairs; industrial factory settings; plumbing fixtures; medical instruments assemblies; electronics products components installation; general electrical contractor installations & many more!
5. The vast majority of these fastening devices are composed of steel but many high quality brands offer stainless steel construction as well for superior protection against oxidation & rusting when exposed to wet conditions in marine environments or coastal areas with salt air pollution – ideal for boating gear applicatiosn!
Conclusion – Taking Advantage of the Benefits of Hex Rivet Nuts
The conclusion of a blog about the benefits of using hex rivet nuts is simple: if you need a reliable, secure fastening mechanism for projects ranging from automotive to furniture assembly, then hex rivet nuts are the perfect choice. Hex rivet nuts save time and money by eliminating the need for extra hardware and allowing easier access to tight spaces in comparison to traditional threaded nuts. With an easy installation process that requires minimal tools and no welding, they can provide high-strength, tamper-resistant construction suitable for almost any application. Their versatility adds value that translates into lasting performance over a wide range of materials, making them highly cost-effective options. The hex head makes it easier to apply accurate torque with pre-set or manually driven wrenches while ensuring uniform mounting depth of each nut without having to measure thread length each time. In conclusion, consider hex rivet nuts when looking for durable and reliable securing solutions that reduce overall project costs.